The Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona occupies a total area of 9,000 square metres distributed on two floors, with modern facilities and services aimed at all audiences. These services include:
The Media Library: the natural sciences for all
- A large archive including audio and audiovisual documents and books devoted to nature
- À la carte sounds: a service enabling users to choose from amongst 2,500 animal noises and sound landscapes
- Loan service
Science nest, for children from 0 to 6 years
Activities related to the Museum resources and the «Planet Life» exhibition. The aim of the Science nest is to generate feelings and emotions and awaken interest in nature amongst our youngest visitors.
Naturalistic guides, claims of birds, gardening kits for children, puzzles, planispheres, binoculars, compasses, mirrors and plush animals, and much more.
The Media Library is part of the Museum Documentation Centre. You will find an extensive digital archive that includes audible documents and audiovisual presentations, as well as reference books relating to the biodiversity and geodiversity of the planet. You can also access the unique public database of animal sounds and audible landscapes of Catalonia, the Audible Nature Record Library in the Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona.
- Saturdays, from 10 to 15 and 16 to 19 h
- Sundays and holidays, 10 to 15 h and 16 to 20 h
Media Library card
Have you got your Media Library card? It is very easy, you only have to show us your ID card, fill in a form and you can borrow up to five documents for one month.
By becoming a member you will also enjoy the following advantages:
- Reduced admission fee to Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona
- 5% discount in the Museum shop
- Invitations to all the inaugurations of the Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona
Naturalistic guides and manuals, claims of birds, children’s gardening kits, puzzles, world maps, binoculars and copies of animals and much more.
- Saturday, from 10 to 14.30h and from 15.30 to 19h
- Sunday and Holidays, from 10 to 14.30h and from 15.30 to 20h
This area is set aside for youngsters up to 6 years of age who come here on school visits or with their family. The idea is to stimulate an interest in science and, above all, to let them enjoy the fun of discovery, spontaneous activity and play.
Animals, plants, rocks and minerals are part of this nest. Elements of nature are not independent, they are all connected . They help us understand the world around us. From now you will find a new element, the nest tree, connecting with all other resources already present in this space.
The Science Nest reopens adapting to the new Covid measures with this new format: The Story Nest. For more information and reservations at this link.(in Catalan)